The Horned Melon - Fruity Facts | Kiwano melon is an exotic
Posted February 21st, 2020 by Fruidel Team
Kiwano Melon is an exotic, unusual looking fruit from the central and southern regions of Africa.
It’s formally known as Cucumis Metuliferus but informally also goes by horned melon and African horned cucumber.
5 Interesting Facts About The Horned Melon
- Packed full of essential nutrients – Kiwano Melon boasts an array of vitamins and minerals, many of which play a role in its ability to positively impact health.
- Horned melons have a sweet to sour taste, and are compared to courgette and cucumbers in regards to flavour, with a subtle hint of banana and lemon.
- The scientific name of Horned Melons is Cucumis Metuliferus and it is from the family Cucurbitaceae, the family of gourds.
- Provides Several Potent Antioxidants – Kiwano Melon is not only nutritious but also offers several potent antioxidants — many of which are nutrients themselves.
- Horned Melons are an exotic fruit with a fleshy exterior and numerous seeds that can be eaten both cooked with meat and raw, often served within a fruit salad.